Tuesday 1 April 2008

Heathrow Terminal 5

Travelling today to Istanbul, heard about the problem in Terminal 5 last few days. Initially I am a bit worry about that, and the situation is getting better after 5 days though still have about 40 flights cancelled. Radio reported over thousand baggages still need to be manually handled.

My take is that BA already did what he needed. If we look at the total number of flights and baggades handled by BA, this is peanuts. So the overall situation this morning was good and no chaos noted and generally the work flow was fine and I could see there were lots of helpers and information assistants around the departure lounge helping passengers and giving directions. So no problem noted so far. It took 5 minutes for me to check in and drop my bag, may be because I already checked-in online and only got one bag. Everything was smooth and better than expected.

I remembered we had similar problem in HK when the new airport opened in 1998? There were always chaos in the beginning so everyone needed to learn from experience, though it might be a bad one. Unexpected things always come, it is just a matter of how to prepare well in advance and it also depends on how the lead person on site handling the problem. Whether it is under control or not make a big difference in terms of the way he/she facilitates the chaotic situation.

The new Terminal 5 is a huge buidling, there are 3 buidlings, A to C and there is a transfer train between them. I had a feeling that they copied the HK design. A lot of setup are similar, might be these are the modern standard of new airport terminal. If they can put some more decorations in the terminal will help giving a better look and feel.

My flight did not depart on time, I would not deny this was not because of the terminal services, I actually heard from the pilot broadcast that some problem were just fixed so we could take off. And we were already 30 minutes late. Actually the plane were queuing in the runway, 3 to 4 planes before us and 3 planes after us. It was a busy traffic :-@

We finally departed Heathrow and we were one hour ten minutes late oh.
@_@

 

No comments:

Post a Comment